Thursday, October 2, 2008

Team In Training

"The people I’ve met through Team In Training have been some of the most compassionate, kind, strong, and dedicated people that have ever crossed my path. Some are survivors like me and our bond was immediate – and is for life. But survivor or not, we’re all united by the common goal of wanting to find a cure for cancer." ~ Natasha Wieschenber, Triathlete and Cancer Survivor

I did it. I went to a Team In Training informational meeting and committed to running 26.2 miles on behalf of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in the Big D Marathon in Dallas. This won't be my first marathon -- I ran ... er, hobbled ... the Cowtown Marathon in Ft Worth. But that was eight years ago, and I've eaten a lot and have broken in a few couches since then.

The Big D will be different for many reasons. This time I'm running for a greater cause: to help find a cure for leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma. I'm running to help improve the lives of blood cancer patients and their families. I'm running for our Team Hero, a cancer survivor who we'll get to meet at the next meeting. I'm excited. After I got home last night, hubby and I jogged around the neighborhood. Side cramps and numb feet aside, it felt good. It's nice to have something to strive for, a goal to reach, a cause to dedicate yourself to. In a way, a sense of purpose.

I started this blog to help raise awareness, to connect with others who are training, to hold myself accountable for my runs, to gain motivation from others. Hope you'll join me on my journey ... only four months to go!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm part of Team In Training also and my wife and I were wondering how you got the cool button that links to your fundraising page? www.markhunnicutt.com
mark@mudcreekchurch.org

Blog Widget by LinkWithin